Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama

Today we went to visit the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, AL. On that bridge in 1965, there were three attempts to march across to advocate for voting rights. On March 7th, 1965 600 people attempted to march across the bridge and were attacked and tear gased by state and local police. They were forced to turn back. Determined to stand up for their rights, on Tuesday, March 9th about 2,500 people came to march across and they were again met by police. Finally they were able to get the court to uphold their right to protest and on March 16th, 1965 close to 8,000 people started the 3 day march from Selma to Montgomery. By the time they reached the state capitol there were more than 25,000 people marching. We visited the bridge and here is an impression of our time there......

-----------------------------

Hi, my name is Ashley Saint Hilaire. I'm 20 years old and I am in my 3rd year of college at Salem State University/RCC. I am originally from Manchester Ct but I've been living in Boston for 4 years. I got involved in project hip hop through my sister who told me to audition for a summer spot for the organization. I have been in project hip hop for about 2-3 months now and it's more than a great job; it's family, fun, and growth.

One experience on the trip that I saw that stood out to me was the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, AL. The bridge looked exactly like it did in the pictures that I saw in papers and pictures. The bridge was shorter than I expected but no matter what it was an amazing thing to see.

I felt like I was in a place of greatness and change. To be walking on that bridge where people of honor and greatness walked for my freedoms and current privileges I felt blessed and honored. I also wished that my mom could have experienced the bridge with me. She raised me and taught me everything I know about the civil rights movement and the importance of knowing about the history of African-Americans in the United states. She also showed me the reality of our freedom here in the US which was why I felt even more impacted inside because my mother taught me about the walk from Selma to Montgomery and to be there in the place made me proud of my history.

Free Blog Counter

1 comment:

M.D. Smith said...

Ashley:

Like your commentary! Continue to enjoy & embrace the experiences of the PHH Civil Rights Tour. Look forward to sharing w/your mom when you return home. PEACE!